> What to see > Church of San Pedro
Church of San Pedro
Built throughout the 14th century, it answers to the typology of the one of a kind church nave consisting of the polygonal apse and lateral chapels which, covered with a dome made with simple transept, surrounds the whole temple.
One of Moorish Aragonâs distinctive features, a corridor superimposed between the lateral chapels surrounds the nave and the apse, opening them solely to the outside through a series of arches that recall the defensive functions of the fortified churches of medieval times.
The Temple suffered numerous reforms and restorations that have come to transform the space. In the 18th century, the main door was replaced with the one known to us today. Subsequently, within the restorations which occurred in 1896, Salvador Gisbert left his important pictorial in the interior design.
The most recent restoration effort, headed by architects Antonio PÃ©rez and JosÃ© MarÃa Sanz, was undertaken at the beginning of the XXI century. The team worked to restore St. Peterâs Church to its current state after having been closed to the public for more than a decade.